Sunday, August 08, 2010

It's only a Trifle

Once upon a time I put on my "Baker" hat. Now, that is one good hat, let me tell you. You see, I was going to a friend's house for a BBQ and I decided that my contribution to this blessed event would be dessert,. A trifle to be exact. A Triple Berry Trifle to be even more exact. What's a trifle you ask? Well, technically, it's this:

English
Cookery
.
a dessert usually consisting of custard and cake soaked in wine or liqueur, and jam, fruit, or the like.

And OK, my trifle didn't exactly fill this definition... I didn't soak anything in wine or liqueur... bummer, I know... but it did have custard (if you consider instant pudding custard, and I do) and fruit. I don't think the guests really cared... they didn't call the Trifle Police or anything, they just ate it up! And, to be oh so humble, they told me it was the most delicious thing they had ever put in their mouths. It's true... ask any of them! Well, maybe, don't ask them. Because then you'll find out that I was lying... and that would make me look really bad... and we just can't have that, now can we? Anyway, the trifle was a hit at the party. Now, I could be stingy and refuse to share the recipe with you all, but that's not the type of girl I am! So, I'll go ahead give you the recipe and let you be the talk of the next party you go to!

Triple Berry Trifle

What you will need:

2 1/3 c Bisquick
1/2 c milk
3 tbs. sugar
3 tbs. butter, melted
1 Pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 pt. blueberries
1 pt. raspberries
1 qt. strawberries, sliced
1 c sugar
1 pkg. frozen whipped cream (thawed)

What you need to do:

~ Prepare package of instant vanilla pudding according to instructions on box, refrigerate.
~ Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
~ Combine 2 1/3 c Bisquick mix with milk, 3 tbs. of sugar, and butter until soft dough forms (this is the recipe for shortcake on the Bisquick box).
~ Spread dough out thinly on greased cookie sheet.
~ Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until a soft golden brown color. Remove from oven, and let cool.
~ While shortcake is baking, combine blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries with 1 c sugar in large bowl. Set aside.
~ Cut shortcake into small bite sized pieces.
~ Layer 1/2 of the pieces of shortcake in Trifle bowl.
~ Pour half of the pudding over shortcake pieces and spread evenly.
~ Pour 1/2 of berry mixture over pudding, spread evenly.
~ Spoon 1/2 of whipped cream over berry mixture, spread evenly.
~ Repeat layering with the remainders of shortcake, then pudding, then berries.
~ Top with remaining whipped cream.
~ Refrigerate until time to serve.

And it should look a little something like this...


Notice the layers... yummy...

All those fresh berries... so tasty... This trifle is obviously missing the whipped cream on the top... just imagine that it's there for me, OK.

Seriously, if you make this, your friends will love you... I promise!


No comments: