Monday, February 14, 2011

Bethy's Book Nook

Wow... has it really been two weeks or more since I've posted anything?  I do believe it has!  For those of you who were worried that the blizzard swept me away, never fear... it didn't... I've just lacked motivation to write... Sad but true.... But, here we go again!

Today's Book Nook Review...
"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens

If you haven't read this book, I'm going to say this to you... Go find it and read it.  Now, I'm not usually the biggest fan of Mr. Dickens.  Don't ask me how many times I've picked up "Great Expectations" only to get half way through before finishing the thing.  I just sometimes find good ol' Chuck's writing to be slow and tedious.  But that didn't stop me from trying to read some of his other well known books, and I'm glad it didn't.  I read "A Tale of Two Cities" one summer in college and I was blown away.  Seriously.  When I finished the book, I closed it and said, out loud to no one in the room but myself mind you, "Wow!"  And that's exactly what I think of the book.  From the classic opening line, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" to the mind blowing ending, I was hooked.  I won't give away the ending to you in case you've never read it, let's just say that this book makes you really think.  It's the first Dicken's book I finished.  I was pretty proud of myself for that one.  So, if you want to read a curious tale of an intriguing cast of characters living through the French revolution, read this book.  Expand your mind. You can borrow my copy if you want...

Happy Reading!

Oh... and Happy Valentine's Day... You know, there's also a good love story in this book, so... it's fitting to read on this day of love... I guess...

No comments: