Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day Hangover...

Yesterday was Valentine's Day... in case you'd forgotten.  To me, though, yesterday was just another day really.  Most Valentine's days I have to talk myself into being happy and saying that I'm OK with being alone on this day of love.  Yesterday was different though.  I honestly didn't care that I had no special someone to celebrate the day with.  I don't know what that was all about, but in retrospect, I'm happy about that.  It could be that I really almost forgot about what day it was... maybe... But I truly was happy and content with my situation in life.  I was even able to be happy for those who did have a valentine to celebrate with.  Now isn't that a big step?!  Although, I am still a girl, so there was this smallest glimmer of unrealistic hope that some random cute boy would have realized how desperately he was in love with me and would send me some flowers to declare afore mentioned love.  Is this a ridiculous thought?  Well, yes and no... believe me, I asked around... Women want to be romanticized and wooed, so it wasn't so ridiculous to think about that aspect of it.  But even if I am a hopeless romantic, I still have my powers of reason and logic, and I know that life is not like in the movies.  So I really wasn't disappointed when my "flower fantasy" didn't come true... and honestly, I think it was just more about wanting to get flowers... and who doesn't want that?  All this to say that I'm pretty happy with myself that I didn't give in to any desperate loneliness feelings yesterday.  My love tank was full, despite the absence of a man in my life, because I have other people who love me.  Proof in point, my carpool buddy asked me to be her "Carpool Valentine" and then proceeded to buy me Starbucks first thing in the morning... that alone could have filled my love tank for days!  Also, I got to talk to two of the most important women in my life (one, of course, being my Momma) and it meant a lot that they called me to wish me a Happy Valentine's Day.  It's those little things that bring us the contentment.  And I was content.  So,  I hope you all enjoyed your day of love yesterday with or without a significant other!  And remember to love and appreciate the people in your life every day!

No comments: